Re: [Monotone-devel] WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL

From: Robert White
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:00:19 -0700

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Robert White wrote:
>
>>> One thing I don't understand is why this contractor needs different
>>> keys for each employer.
>>

>> Try things like wanting to be able to revoke/destroy one key when the
>> contract is over etc.
>

> Why would I want to do that?

The question isn't whether _you_ would want to do that, its whether or
not a non-trivial number of users might...

Have you honestly never heard of a contract that requires complete
"surrender or destroy" of materials etc? That is the default for most
contracts in my experience.

Maybe you need to work a larger range of professional roles before you
comment on what is or _isn't_ desirable in a professional-grade tool.

So I cast one vote for "necessary" and you cast one vote for "nobody
would ever need to do that", and yet I did and now the utility of the
tool is greatly reduced or complicated for me, so evidence suggest that
your vote for "nobody would" is less than convincing. Others would have
to weigh in for a real result.

Not that 100% accurate no matter what you say, if you don't consider the
possibilites before you comment.

More questions?