Re: [Monotone-devel] interface versions, again

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] interface versions, again
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 04:22:16 -0500

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> So, to make a long story short I propose that interface versions

specifically, the 'automate interface version'.

> are _not_ changed by individual developers up until the next release
> and that the release manager rather takes care of the numbering,
> just because he gets the ultimative overview what has been added /
> changed when he writes the NEWS file.

That makes sense.

I suggest documenting this policy in cmd_automate.cc, in the comment
at the declaration of the interface_version variable. There is some
chance people will read that comment before changing the value :).

While we are on this topic, can I request that the monotone version be
bumped to 0.43 immediately after the release, rather than immediately
before the next release? That makes it easier for development versions
of Emacs DVC (and other similar tools) to check for the presence of
brand new stuff in monotone.

Currently, I patch the monotone version (in configure.ac) locally to
support this. But I don't think that's very safe; there's always the
chance I'll check in that patch by mistake.

--
-- Stephe