Re: [Monotone-devel] "mtn log" now converts dates to the user's timezon

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] "mtn log" now converts dates to the user's timezone
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 16:39:04 +0100

I was only referring to localtime vs UTC and not its format. I should have made that clearer :-).

I do use the au stdio if extensively for mtn-browse. Whilst I agree the yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss format should be constant regardless within au stdio I would have thought it best that the time was localtime as we will get out of say mtn log. This will avoid accidental/confusing inconsistencies.

System UTC time_t vs formatted string... Another thing to consider. If one is using C/C++/Perl/Python etc then it doesn't make that much difference, as there are routines to convert formatted time back to time_t or struct tm etc. But if you are trying to hack something up in say Bourne shell then it would matter a lot. At least something resembling a human understandable local time can be used as is without costly or near impossible conversions in shell script.

btw au is still a presentation layer, its just presents its data in a more parse-able format.

   Tony.
Zack Weinberg wrote:
At present, the only thing affected is 'log'.  My immediate thought is
that absolutely we should *not* apply these changes to the automate
interface, because that's intended for machine consumption; in
particular, you don't want to have to parse whatever arbitrary gunk
the user put in their date format spec.

On the other hand I've never written anything that consumed automate
output.  Are there contexts where it would be useful to get dates
(specifically, the values of date certs) still in ISO date format but
converted to the local time zone?

zw