[Monotone-devel] Having to perform the same merge over and over again

From: Gabriel Schulhof
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Having to perform the same merge over and over again
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 18:28:00 +0200 (EET)

Hi!

Please consider the following scenario:

Upstream revision (000001) has files:
        foo
        bar
        baz

Downstream revision 1 (000001d1) touches:
        bar
        baz

Downstream revision 2 (000001d2) touches:
        bar
        baz

Upstream revisions are committed, and committed, and eventually, foo is
modified in such a way that propagating to downstream revision 1 requires
a manual merge. Now, propagating to downstream revision 2 requires the
same manual merge. Same for all downstream revisions deriving from 000001.

I am experiencing this problem with pidgin. I have derived branches from
t:v2.6.3 and I am trying to propagate t:v2.6.4 to the branches. I am
finding that the ChangeLog file requires manual merging, for each branch
that derives from t:v2.6.3.

Is there no way to implement a "merge cache" (sort of like ccache) where,
given three snapshots of a file (left, ancestor, right), and a failure to
automatically merge, the human's choices (== the resulting file) are
recorded, and whenever the same triple shows up, the result is applied
automagically?

TIA for your consideration,

Gabriel