Re: [Monotone-devel] --docdir and --htmldir

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] --docdir and --htmldir
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:43:55 -0800

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:

> I stumbled upon a small possible issue (again) while building openSUSE
> rpm packages. Apparently documentation should go into
> PREFIX/share/doc/packages/monotone (or the output of `rpm --eval
> %_docdir`/monotone), but we install everything under
> PREFIX/share/doc/monotone. I guess the --docdir and --htmldir options
> are meant to control that behaviour, but both don't work and still just
> put everything into PREFIX/share/doc/monotone.

This is almost certainly because we have hand-rolled rules for
generating HTML from Texinfo, instead of using automake's rules.  I
tried to fix this about a month ago but ran into a brick wall related
to the figures - each output format (info, pdf, ps, html) wants a
different format for the figure files (.txt, .pdf, .eps, .png
respectively) and some of them *break* if they find figures in a
format other than they one they expect (most prominently, for no
comprehensible reason, pdftex prefers .png figures over .pdf figures!)
 And automake's support for distinct include directories for the
various formats is ... not really there.

So I gave up.

zw