Re: [Monotone-devel] --docdir and --htmldir

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] --docdir and --htmldir
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:19:19 -0800

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Have you looked how other software packages handle this issue, i.e. do
> all of them have their own automake foo? Maybe there is some kind of
> workaround for that...

I think other software packages mostly don't put figures in their
manuals, so they don't have a problem with the regular automake rules.
:-P

> Other than that, can we maybe fix the issue I pointed out above and
> somehow respect our own path configure options?

Maybe -- it should be a matter of finding a few places in the install
rules where we need to be using $(htmldir) and/or $(docdir) instead of
$(datadir)/something.

> What exactly would vanish / not work any longer if we'd switch to
> automake's rules?

If I remember correctly, it was possible to make every format generate
without errors, but the figures would be illegible in the PDF,
nonexistent in the HTML, or both.

zw