[Monotone-devel] usher

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] usher
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 02:12:24 +0200

Hi!

I know usher is around for quite a long time now, but I just started
playing with it tonight. One thing I don't quite get is how instance
separation based on pattern matching is supposed to work - imagine you
have these two different setups

server          "project-1"
pattern         "com.project-1"
local           "-d" "/path/to/project-1.mtn"

server          "project-2"
pattern         "com.project-2"
local           "-d" "/path/to/project-2.mtn"

What happens if somebody pulls or pushes changes with "com.project*" or
some other wildcard-using pattern to the server? Would this fail because
neither server would be able to respond? What would happen for a pattern
like "{com.project-1,com.project-2}"?

What is the status of usher currently anyways? I haven't seen an
official release of it (no tags at least), but it seems to be proven
stable over the last couple of years. If there would be an offical
release, packagers would be able to pick it up easier and could provide
it as tool on top of monotone.

Thomas.