[Monotone-devel] verbosity options

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Monotone-devel] verbosity options
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 08:18:50 -0400

In starting work on negatable options, I looked thru all of the current
boolean options. These are all related, at least in the English meaning
of their names:

OPT(full, "full", bool, false,
GOPT(quiet, "quiet", bool, false,
GOPT(reallyquiet, "reallyquiet", bool, false,
OPT(verbose, "verbose", bool, false,

We could change them to a single verbosity integer, where 0 = normal, <
0 is progressively quieter, > 0 is progressively noisier:

<default>   = 0
quiet       = -1
reallyquiet = -2
verbose     = 1
full        = 2

However, these options are used rarely, or not at all:

"full" is used by:
CMD_NO_WORKSPACE(version, "version", "", CMD_REF(informative), "",
CMD(db_info, "info", "", CMD_REF(db), "",

"verbose" is used by:
CMD(complete, "complete", "", CMD_REF(informative),

"quiet" and "reallyquiet" are not used at all. Compiling with those
options deleted from options_list.hh confirms that.

So we could keep 'full' and 'verbose' as booleans, and just live with
the --no- forms.

I think an integer verbosity is more flexible in the long run. Some
other tools I've used allow incrementing the integer by repeating -v;
that's a simple interface. But that should be done in another branch,
separate from the negatable options work.

For now, any objections to deleting "quiet" and "reallyquiet" from nvm?

--
-- Stephe