Re: [Monotone-devel] verbosity options

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] verbosity options
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:33:36 -0700

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 7:06 AM, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/13/2010 07:18 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> That could be reasonable, replace all four with a global
> "--verbosity=<-2,-1,0,1>". Probably this should be part of resettable
> options, since --quiet and --reallyquiet need to be fixed anyway and can be
> made resettable along the way.
>
>> For now, any objections to deleting "quiet" and "reallyquiet" from nvm?
>
> They turn off tickers and P() messages, and --reallyquiet also turns off W()
> messages. We probably want to keep them.

I support mapping these options to a verbosity level internally, but
please keep --quiet around [and its aliases -q and --silent] as a user
visible option.  Lots of commands recognize -q/--quiet/--silent as
meaning "no output except in case of errors" (or in some cases "no
output other than exit status", e.g. grep(1)) and we want to keep that
global consistency.

zw