Re: [Monotone-devel] project status

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] project status
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 07:03:19 -0400

Patrick Georgi <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 04.08.2010 09:51, schrieb Stephen Leake:
>> From the bug discussion https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?30345, it
>> appears that the minimum necessary is already there, via 'mtn
>> automate read_packets', and/or 'mtn sync --key-to-push'.
>>
>> So what is the indefero use case, and what is still missing?
> First, the read_packet stuff might be dropped at some point (with all
> the other packet based CLI commands), as these seem to have fallen out
> of use.

Yes, but is 'mtn sync --key-to-push' enough?

What is actually needed by indefero?

I'm interested in doing work that is actually needed, not just
rearranging commands.

> Second, Thomas proposed to add a "drop_key" command of some sort.
> While that won't help for already propagated keys (as those will come
> back), it allows the removal of just-added keys (ie. those added by
> mistake)

Keys on the server are only used to verify signatures; a key put there
by mistake will simply never be used. While it makes sense to clean up
the mistake, it opens the door to deleting other keys by mistake.

Sometimes, direct access by a system administrator is required; this
seems like a good case for that.

--
-- Stephe