Re: [Monotone-devel] project status

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] project status
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:22:45 +0200

Am 04.08.2010 15:30, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Yes, but is 'mtn sync --key-to-push' enough?
>>>
>>> What is actually needed by indefero?
>>
>> A way to inject a new key from a (remote_)stdio connection into a
>> database to be used later for authentication purposes.
>
> Ok; does 'sync --key-to-push' via 'mtn automate stdio' do that?
> Seems like it should, but I haven't tried it.

How should it do that? I can only push keys from one database to
another, but I want to put, i.e. store keys directly, similar to what
`mtn read` provides. Use case: Admin enters the ascii-amored version of
a public key in a web form and hits "add". The key is read and stored in
the database via automate.

> On the other hand, why does it have to be 'via a stdio connection'? 'mtn
> sync --key-to-push mtn:server' should get the desired key into the
> server's database.
>
> Hmm. Maybe the server host rules don't allow a standard mtn: connection,
> but require an ssh: connection. That makes sense. But that still means
> 'mtn sync --key-to-push ssh:server' should work. 'automate' does not
> need to be involved.

It needs to be involved for the above use case.

>>> Keys on the server are only used to verify signatures; a key put there
>>> by mistake will simply never be used. While it makes sense to clean up
>>> the mistake, it opens the door to deleting other keys by mistake.
>>
>> Thats why there is a new selector in monotone 0.99 - the k: selector. If
>> this returns empty, the key is save to be deleted. There are a couple of
>> shoot-yourself-in-the-foot commands in automate, but hey, this is
>> automate, not a user interface.
>
> ok.
>
> There is also the race condition of deleting a key that is currently
> being used to commit something; we'd need the keystore interface to
> enforce a lock, and provide an atomic 'delete if unused' operation.
> That's a big change for a minor use case.

A more common race condition could be the usage of push and delete_key,
but then again this should be rather rare as well timing-wise. But since
both actions merely act on the database, shouldn't our transaction guard
take care of this?

> I gather the indefero server does not give shell access to a project
> admin? That seems to be a bigger problem; I'm not sure we should be
> putting project admin operations in the automate interface that are
> already provided by a shell interface.

indefero will have to manage "live" monotone databases behind usher.
Shell access is not wanted for various reasons.

Thomas.