Re: [Monotone-devel] information policy

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] information policy
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 05:57:11 -0400

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen wrote:
>> Also, while it is useful to have the blog post, I think we should
>> always post announcements like that on this list
>> (address@hidden); I consider this the prime and
>> authoritative source for monotone announcements.
>
> I tried to establish the website and its RSS news feed up there as new
> primary authoritative source for information for a couple of months now,
> sorry that I didn't made this clear enough in the past.

Ok. It makes sense that the monotone website should be the authoritative
source for reference info and announcements.

> The thing is this: monotone-devel is full of development chatter that
> its rather hard to follow important announcements for the "passive
> reader",

Yes.

> monotone-announce has only 18 users (of which roughly one third are
> "usual suspects")

That might change if it announcements were _not_ made to monotone-devel.

> On the other hand I find a news section with an integrated RSS feed

I'm way behind on web stuff; I'm a die-hard mailing list and newsgroup
user.

Emacs Gnus (which I use to read news and mail) does incorporate an RSS
reader. However, I can't figure out what URL to give it;
http://www.monotone.ca/ doesn't work, and I don't see anything on that
page to indicate what the RSS URL might be.

> Its just that I have too many irons in the fire and serving many
> different media with basically the same contents just takes more time (I
> do write enough emails already to monotone-devel, right?! ;))

As long as it is clear how to integrate the RSS feed into typical
clients, that's fine.

> Has anybody an idea how this could be improved properly with a minimal
> amount of work included? Some automatic "new news feed item"
> notification on the monotone-devel list?

That would be good, but it might be more appropriate to feed to
monotone-announce, to encourage use of that list.

> On IRC even?

-1

--
-- Stephe