[Monotone-devel] release process

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Monotone-devel] release process
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:19:33 -0400

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> Unfortunately some last minute changes make this release break on x86_64

We had a similar problem with the 0.48 release; the Win32 package did
not build properly.

I think we need to do a better job of being sure everything is tested
before a release.

That used to be accomplished thru buildbots, but that approach, for
whatever reason, is no longer working.

So I propose the following process:

1) When we feel a release is ready, create a release branch.

2) Only bug fixes should be committed to the release branch; any other
   work goes to the main branch.

3) Some developers volunteer to be a designated tester for particular
   platforms. Ideally, we would have two testers per platform (because
   build setups differ), but one would be sufficient.

   A working buildbot can be a designated tester. Note that it needs to
   be configured to work on the release branch.

4) Testing must also include creating and testing the release package
   for each platform.

   I think the current buildbots don't do this step.

5) After all designated testers have reported success, the release is
   declared finally ready, and published as usual.

6) Propagate the release branch to the main branch, for the bug fixes.

--
-- Stephe