Re: [Monotone-devel] Quick poll: Does anybody actually still use diff wi

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Quick poll: Does anybody actually still use diff with --external?
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 08:30:06 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 08 Jan 2011 01:52:00 +0100, Thomas Keller
<address@hidden> said:

me> I'm working on issue 102 and to make this work properly I want to
me> create the diff output and return it instead of just printing it
me> to stdout directly. Problem is that the external diff hook calls
me> execute("diff", "-u", ...) and I wonder if I should go through the
me> hassle and use spawn_redirected to catch and return the output
me> from there.

I'm not sure what you're about to do...  it does sound like you want
to create the whole diff in memory and output it when it's complete.
In my opinion, that would be a bad idea (think huge diffs), and I'm
not quite sure how that would fix the sorting order, which is the
actual issue here.  Maybe I misunderstand what you're thinking of
doing...

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/