Re: [Monotone-devel] Quick poll: Does anybody actually still use diff wi

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Quick poll: Does anybody actually still use diff with --external?
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:34:39 +0000

I have probably completely misunderstood but...

If I understand you correctly your multimap would store the raw output of the diff. Could one not store the essential arguments to the dump_diff() call instead of the diff output (say the two paths and file ids but _not_ the file content (which can easily be retrieved when needed))? Then iterate through your sorted multimap calling get_data(), lua.hook_get_encloser_pattern() and lastly dump_diff(). That way each node in the multimap would contain a lot less data than a diff output, addressing Richard's concern, and it would also mean that you wouldn't have to worry about capturing the output of external diff operations as they would be done in order and not require sorting.

Anyway what ever you decide +1 from me as well... :-)

Cheers,

Tony.

Thomas Keller wrote:
I don't say its impossible to do, but it would require quite a lot more
code shuffling. If you look at the actual implementation in
cmd_diff_log.cc, around line 120, you see that we have to keep quite a
lot of state during a potential "first" round in order to sort things
before we go on with the "second" round which calculates and outputs the
actual diff.

In the end I'm just up for fixing this one bug, issue 102, so if you
think there is an easier / better way to do it, be my guest :)

Thomas.