Re: [Monotone-devel] mingw-instructions

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mingw-instructions
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 23:59:26 +0100

Am 08.01.11 12:54, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> http://wiki.monotone.ca/RoadMap/  has an entry:
>
> Split INSTALL by platform and update it | n/a |
> `net.venge.monotone{,.mingw-instructions}` | started |
>
> However, the mingw-instructions branch is more about upgrading to a
> newer version of the MinGW tools; splitting INSTALL is already done, on
> the main branch.

Right, only a few minor things are missing:

1) we should append a proper extension to that file and name it proper,
for example *.txt
2) we might think about converting it to DOS line endings, just to make
it look "proper" in the still-default text editor notepad

Finally I'm still unsure if we want to keep all these install files in
the main directory or under doc/ or install/ or whatever.

> I suggest we change this line to 'upgrade to newer MinGW tools'.

Feel free to do that.

> Note that main/INSTALL_windows_native says:
>
>     The versions given here were used to build the current release of
>     monontone.
>
> mingw-instructions changes that to:
>
>     The versions given here may not be exactly the same versions as used
>     to build the current release of monontone.
>
> Do we want to establish a policy of 'official mingw versions for mtn
> releases"?
>
> If so, I suggest we move 'upgrade to new MinGW' to after 1.0, since
> there is lots of other work to do (ie, I'd rather not spend time trying
> the new MinGW stuff).
>
> Having an official MinGW version list is useful in the case of
> MinGW-version dependent bugs. This has happened in the past, with
> internationalization.
>
> If we don't care about official versions of MinGW tools (which would be
> difficult to enforce), then it doesn't really matter whether this is in
> 1.0 or not.

I'm not into mingw and cannot say much about that, but in general we
have the same problems on other platforms as well, i.e. a new version of
a distro comes out and our "Debian" or "Fedora" instructions are
outdated because some package name or dependency changed. And I don't
think we actually want to support _every_ version of _every_ distro
where monotone can eventually be built on.
What we can see here is also that installation instructions are never
really complete nor 100% perfectly working, so a general disclaimer like
the one you stated above might be the way to go (or even something more
general like "we tested this with release so-and-so last time,
everything might have changed in the meantime").

Thomas.