Re: [Monotone-devel] mingw-instructions

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mingw-instructions
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 20:15:27 -0600

On 01/08/2011 06:19 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

> Correct. But it would be nice to document how the executables on our
> download page are built. In fact, that's a requirement of the GPL 3
> license

Some of our downloads like the Windows installer bundle the libraries we
use. So for any copyleft libraries, we really ought to actually host the
source for the version used.

> (which we should upgrade to).

Eww.

>> What we can see here is also that installation instructions are never
>> really complete nor 100% perfectly working,
>
> Well, I was striving to meet that requirement for the MinGW
> instructions. I agree the others are not.

The current instructions are actually old enough to be broken, in that
for example the appropriate SQLite file is named differently now and the
listed versions of some MinGW files are in different places.

>> so a general disclaimer like the one you stated above might be the way
>> to go (or even something more general like "we tested this with
>> release so-and-so last time, everything might have changed in the
>> meantime").
>
> Ok, I've left that milestone in 1.0 in RoadMap.

Speaking of which, does anyone know why a monotone built with the new
instructions might eat several seconds of CPU time before entering
main(), or how I might debug that (especially given that ^C under gdb
apparently kills gdb instead of breaking)?

--
Timothy

Free public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net