[Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] net.venge.monotone.source-

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] net.venge.monotone.source-tree-cleanup: d54c8c17eeebbe7dd6bb30d4d10996db79de24f2
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:36:46 -0500

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen, with regards to this change, I'd like to know the background
> for this:
>
>   * Makefile.am (doc_monotone_TEXINFOS): move copy-html-deps
>     copy-pdf-deps out of this; they must be files in the 'dist'
>     target. Also delete $(EPS_FIGURES); doesn't work on Win32, not
>     needed anyway
>
> Most especially, I'd like to know how having $(EPS_FIGURES) in
> $(doc_monotone_TEXINFOS) doesn't work on Win32.

The tools that create *.eps are not available in MinGW.

> Not having $(EPS_FIGURES) in $(doc_monotone_TEXINFOS) doesn't work
> when trying to produce doc/monotone.dvi (which is needed to create
> doc/monotone.ps).  The optimal thing would of course be if we could
> have a line like this to express extra dependencies:
>
>   doc/monotone.dvi: $(EPS_FIGURES)
>
> Unfortunately, automake takes this as an override and will refuse to
> generate a doc/monotone.dvi of its own...

Ok, that's a problem.

Maybe we can make EPS_FIGURES be empty on Win32 MinGW?

Is there a reason to build monotone.ps, when .pdf is available?

If it comes down to a choice between monotone.ps and win32-installer, I
think we can live without monotone.ps.

this gets back to the question I asked:

What Makefile targets are supposed to work?

I tested monotone.pdf, but not monotone.ps. Is there some other target
that builds monotone.ps? 'dist' apparently doesn't.

What other targets do I need to test when messing with Makefiles?

--
-- Stephe