Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.alt_tmpdir

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.alt_tmpdir
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 17:56:13 -0400

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>    Note that 'mv' between two drives succeeds on Windows
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to just enhance the POSIX move-this-file
> function so that it checks if they're on the same filesystem (you can
> get this from stat(2)), and then either calls rename(2) or does a
> copy+unlink?

Hmm.

Yes, that would be easier.

But that silently loses the check that the disk can hold all the files (and
is writable, etc) before modifying the workspace.

Maybe if that feature were only enabled by an option in _MTN/options, it
would be ok (because less silent).

Since Windows currently silently loses those for the similar situation,
maybe it's not so bad.

Darn. Now I've invested several hours in the more complex but elegant
solution, I find it hard to give up :).

--
-- Stephe