Re: [Monotone-devel] permissions and identity

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] permissions and identity
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 00:01:17 +0200

Am 16.05.11 23:35, schrieb Hendrik Boom:
> I'm using usher with monotone.
> Do I have it right?
>
> User identities (the public keys) are kept in the monotone databases.
> Presumably every database can have different sets of user identities.
>
> But private keys are kept in a .monotone/keys directory, which is the
> same for all databases.
>
> So the databases can differ as to public keys, but have to agree on
> provate keys.
>
> Finally, the set of branches users can read and write to is kept in
> files different directry, .monotone/read-permissions and
> .monotone/write-permissions.  This even though moltiple data bases
> probably provide completely different branches.
>

> Is there a rationale for this division of responsibilities, or did it
> just appear more or less by accident?

I'd say its "by accident". If you configure usher with local servers,
i.e. independently running mtn instances, you should give each instance
its own configuration directory with --confdir.

The "monotone" server entry for our own usher instance for example looks
like this:

server "monotone"
 local "--confdir" "/path/to/monotone" "-d"
"/path/to/monotone/database.mtn" "--ticker=dot" "--timestamps"

And underknees /path/to/monotone the full configuration tree with
private keys, read- / write-permission files, monotonerc and so on is
expanded.

Thomas.