Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.lua-5.2 failing on mingw

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.lua-5.2 failing on mingw
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 11:56:59 +0100

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'll also work on updating INSTALL_windows_native.txt to the latest
>>> versions, and test on XP.
>>
>> I'm getting immediate failures from mtn int the nvm.lua-5.2 branch on
>> Mingw; something to do with the Lua interface, possibly exception
>> handling.
>>
>> I'm investigating.
>
> The Lua interface was a red herring; it's C++ exceptions that are not
> working.
>
> To reproduce:
>
> cd nvm.lua-5.2-build_mingw
> ./mtn.exe --no-standard-rcfiles
>
> Should get a "no command" error, with usage; instead get:
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
>
> It's dying on monotone.cc:288
>
>           if (cmd_id.empty())
>             throw usage(commands::command_id());
>
> This is compiled with mingw g++ 4.6.2; does that have problems?
>
> I'll see if I can get an older g++ for mingw.

Completely reinstalling mingw, using an older installer that has g++
4.5.2, fixed this particular problem (running 'make check' now).

So apparently g++ 4.6.2 has problems with exceptions on Mingw. Cygwin is
still at 4.5.3; I don't think Debian is at 4.6 yet. So perhaps this is
not surprising.

--
-- Stephe