Re: [Monotone-devel] [Monotone-users] CAD versioning

From: Hugo Cornelis
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [Monotone-users] CAD versioning
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:59:53 +0100

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Hendrik Boom <address@hidden> wrote:
> Monotone can certainly store any files; but can it merge changes to
> those files?
>
> That depends on the file formats.  Monotone does change merging on a
> line-by-line basis,  Most word-processing file formats, for example,
> are terrible at enabling change merging bcause they don't represent
> newlines as new line characters, or because they use data compresssion.
> Straight ASCII text, with newlines, is much better, and possibly also
> Microsoft's rich text format (anyone know for sure about this one?)

Really??  It would be a surprise to me that monotone's delta algorithm
would only be efficient for text files, because I have been using
monotone for many years on images and pdf files without problem
regarding performance.

I thought monotone uses xdelta, which is a binary delta algorithm that
facilitates binary merges that can be easily applied to both text and
non-text files.

Am I right, or is monotone's delta algorithm only efficient for text files?

Hugo