Re: [Monotone-devel] [Monotone-users] CAD versioning

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [Monotone-users] CAD versioning
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:44:51 -0600

Roberto Bartola <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm looking for a versionig software which could be used in (M)CAD projects.
> I such projects we can find many parts assembled in assemblies and
> sub/assemblies.
> I'd like to understand if is it possible to checkin/checkout and put in a
> lock way the assemblies with its component.

It is certainly possible to commit the files to monotone; it can handle
any files.

> To do it I need the version software could understand the CAD
> assemblies or (may be easier) the version software read in a txt file
> the way the components are assembled.

I don't understand why you think mtn would need to understand the
assemblies. What work flow would this enable?

It is certainly possible for mtn to store a text file that the CAD
system uses.

> Is it possible using MONOTONE?

Yes, but it sounds like you need help with your desired workflow. You
may find it helpful to write some Lua or shell scripts to enforce some
higher level rules, or make things simpler.

If you can write up a simple example of how you see using a tool like
mtn, we could help.

--
-- Stephe