Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow flag: -combined ?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow flag: -combined ?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:45:57 -0400

>Some palwtry GNU excuse for a man page referring you to info(1).  :-) I
>wouldn't expect them to know their Unix history.

Well, the man page I looked at was on MacOS X, which was derived from
the BSD man pages.  Also ... I don't think I've ever heard the word
"catenate" used in English.  If you had asked me, I would have said that
I didn't even think that WAS a word.

>> -concat makes sense to me.  -cat ... well, it doesn't make as much
>> sense to me.
>
>I'd expect nmh users to be Unix users familiar with cat(1).  I'd expect
>it to make sense to them for that alone?

It's just ... when I see -cat, I'd think that means "run the output
through cat(1)".  I think it's a minor issue, though.

>On the question of whether the option should be named so the default is
>the -no-less version, I don't think that matters.  More important is a
>negative term isn't sought out to make that true so a double-negative
>results when -no is prefixed.

I'm having a hard time parsing your and David's double-negatives here;
you're fine with -cat/-nocat (or -concat/-noconcat)?  Maybe I need more
coffee ...

--Ken