Re: Is nmh suitable for managing multiple email accounts?

From: Tim Lee
Subject: Re: Is nmh suitable for managing multiple email accounts?
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 10:49:14 +0800

> The other advice probably covers the simplest routes.  It is possible to
> mix and match though: the two points I hacked to get it working are:
>
>   - For sending, you just need to create a custom components file
>     (template blank email message with an appropriately-set From: and
>     (if you want to archive sent messages) Fcc: folder) for each
>     identity, then you can set up aliases to use each.
>
>   - For replying, you can set 'editor' in your .mh_profile to invoke a
>     custom script which (prior to invoking your actual editor) will work
>     out which identity the email you're replying to is associated with,
>     and make patches to the reply's From: and Fcc: headers as necessary.
>
>   - You then need to patch your mail transfer agent (I use exim4) so
>     that with different 'From's it sends via different mailhosts.  This
>     is not MH's problem, and varies from one MTA to the next.
>
> I use this successfully to mix and match a very large number of distinct
> email identities, but it *is* a bit of a bother to set up and most
> rational people probably would choose not to.

This setup looks like one that comes from a very experienced email user.
Perhaps I too will someday become a master of email :-)
But for now, I will have to stick to simpler methods even if they are
not the most efficient. I think I will need to learn a lot more, due to
my shaky understanding of email in general.