Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

From: Bob Carragher
Subject: Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 00:07:53 -0800

(I've combined replies, but used the message ID of Tom's first
reply; hopefully that doesn't break the archive.  B-)

Thank you Tom, David, Krullen, and Ken, for your helpful replies!

Tom:  good point about false-looking Received: headers!  I
definitely want to avoid making my email look even more spammy
than it already is deemed by certain institutions.  B-[  Thanks
also for finding the "clientname" entry in mts.conf -- which I
had previously set to "Hikaru" because, without it, my emails
would use "localhost.localdomain" and look even more spammy.
(This was a fix that folks on this mailing list kindly gave me
back in 2018.  B-)

David:  thanks for the pointer to the "-client" option to
send(1).  (Actually, it's probably a reminder -- I feel like it
was mentioned back when someone gave me the "clientname" fix.)
I do see in the headers of your reply that the first "Received:"
header uses "HiddenHostname" ... but also the FQDM(?) of your
Verizon connection (and its IP address):

             by smtp.gmail.com [...]

So, while I could hide the hostname of my laptop, I wouldn't be
able to hide its "public"/ISP-assigned name (and IP address).

Ken:  I would not be opposed to documenting this particular
undocumented switch, though I can imagine why it was left
undocumented in the first place.

                                Bob

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 11:14:44 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> sez:

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 11:56:31 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> sez: