Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

From: Jerry Heyman
Subject: Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 12:10:18 -0500

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:34:21 -0500, Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> wrote:

> >by putting the following entries in my mts.conf
> >
> >localname: hobbeshollow.com
> >masquerade: draft_from mmailid username_extension
>
> Just FYI ... we got rid of all masquerade support ... 9 years ago?
> Definitely in nmh 1.4.  Now, we didn't get rid of the FUNCTIONALITY.
> Basically there were all these bizarre rules around setting your "From"
> header that you could use the masquerade entry to relax and we finally
> agreed that was dumb, so we got rid of them and you can set your From
> header to anything now.  That line isn't harming anything, but you can
> safely remove it if your nmh is reasonably up to date.

Ken,

My nmh is 1.7, so reasonably current :-)

Since I created during the nmh/mh early days, I've not noticed the
masquerade support was incorporated.  the mts.conf file had served
me well for all these years, and I just migrate the same one from
upgrade to upgrade.
Since no longer necessary, I'll remove it!

Thanks!

jerry

--
     // Jerry Heyman               | The first law of economics is scarcity of
    //  Amigan Forever :-)         | resources.  First law of politics, ignore