Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 03:39:56 -0500

>Ken:  I would not be opposed to documenting this particular
>undocumented switch, though I can imagine why it was left
>undocumented in the first place.

Well, ABOUT that.  While it seems that -client was never documented,
clientname (in mts.conf) was always documented, but not very well, back in
the MH-6.8 days (I thought maybe clientname did something else, but no ...
that's all it ever did).  Now, why was -client undocumented?  No idea!
The code has been there for approximately forever and we've just been
bringing it forward.  Honestly, I think every switch to every MH/nmh
program warrants SOME kind of documentation, because otherwise poor
schmucks like me are puzzling over it years later.  Yes, put some
documentation in for -idanno!  Maybe someone else will make use of it!

And in CASE you're wondering ... -idanno is a special flag used
to communicate annotation information up from post(8) to higher
level programs.  It means, "Write annotation information to the file
descriptor given as the argument to -idanno".  What that really means
is that if you give post(8) something like "-idanno 8", then post will
write a list of email addresses that it is sending to, one per line, to
whatever is opened on file descriptor 8.  And then ... well, what actually
happens AFTER post(8) does that is kind of complicated and involves
some magic environment variables, and we should really document that all.
It's kind of documented in mh-profile, but not very well.

--Ken