Re: mhbuild and long header fields

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: mhbuild and long header fields
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 22:35:26 -0400

>> Thank you for pointing that out.  Header field folding does need to be
>> properly implemented.  It would be a great contribution if someone has
>> the bandwidth.
>
>I have looked a bit at it. I found two places where this could be
>implemented:
>
>Either as part of encode_rfc2047(), this function does this allready,
>but only if a non ascii char is in the field body.

Right, I don't think this is the right function.  That is SPECIFICALLY
for RFC 2047 encoding, which is actually only permitted for some headers
(definitely not References).  Yes, it does folding but that's really just
in the context of creating RFC 2047 "phrases".

>Or in output_headers(). I'm not sure if there an extra options would be
>required.

That is one option.  Another is that repl(1) could do a better job; I
suppose that is the fault of mhl.

--Ken