Re: Where is my editor?

From: Thomas Dupond
Subject: Re: Where is my editor?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:51:58 +0100

     Date:        18 Jan 2024 23:20:11 -0700
     From:        "Andy Bradford" <amb-xmhe@bradfords.org>

   | Ahh, I  didn't read  the fine  print... you said  "mh's default",  but I
   | misunderstood it for "nmh's default".

Yes, I have had the "editor" line in my profile since MH days, (I
have been a user since almost forever) so what nmh did as default
I never knew, which is why I avoided saying that...

I assume the change you indicated happened is to avoid building a
choice of default editors into nmh - prompter is part of the MH
world, so always exists, even though ex/vi is POSIX std, there
really is no guarantee it will exist on every system in the world
(even less for emacs/jove/nano/vim/...) and having "ed" as the default
would simply irritate people.

Unfortunately, even ed is not on every system, eg. Debian by default has vi/ex but not ed.

--
Thomas