Symbolic link to mhmail

From: Thomas Dupond
Subject: Symbolic link to mhmail
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:59:35 +0100

Hello all,

I wanted to know how could I make a symbolic link to mhmail from /usr/bin/mailx. Right now doing this gives me the following errors:
/usr/bin/mailx: 1: /usr/bin/mhparam: not found
/usr/bin/mailx: 95: exec: /usr/bin/inc: not found

Because of course mhmail is not in /usr/bin but in /usr/bin/mh so it cannot find mhparam which is also in /usr/bin/mh.

This issue comes from the fact that I wanted to use the unattended-upgrades package on Debian which uses mailx to send reports. Since only nmh is detected as providing a compatible mailx program, mailx redirects to /usr/bin/mh/mhmail.

I have not found anything related to this on the mailing list, sorry if this issue has been raised before.

Best regards,
--
Thomas