Re: Having problem building on macOS Mojave

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Having problem building on macOS Mojave
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:46:01 -0500

On 1/10/19 11:09 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:

On 1/10/19 10:43 PM, ThomasScofield wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.  Interesting about resizing the graphics window.
Yes, that brought a plot into view for me as well.

I tried running

  octave --gui

and, like you experienced in Mojave, opening/closing the Preferences window
seemed to cause no disruption.  I did a plot from the gui interface, and
just as with the non-gui version, the figure window displayed nothing until
I resized the window.

You're correct, I see that gnuplot is actually installed, must be through
dependency.

My build logs are at

  https://gist.github.com/95d90436391d87bfce30038f03c445d7

Nothing suspicious there as far as I can see. The stuff in doctor.out is just from a non-brewed Tcl/Tk installation, which is fine, and a couple non-linked kegs, which don't look relevant.

I think this might be an Octave issue, and not a problem with how you're building it.

I tested Octave 4.4.0 and 4.4.1 on 10.14.2 Mojave, too. Plots show up fine for me in 4.4.0 and 4.4.1.

Perhaps this is a Qt issue? My 4.4.0 and 4.4.1 were built against Qt 5.11, whereas octave-head-test is building against Qt 5.12. If I find some time I'll put together an "Octave head with Qt 5.11" build and see how that goes.

Andrew

I built an Octave 4.4.0 against Qt 5.12 on macOS 10.14.2 Mojave, and it had the same "blank figure" behavior as the head test. It looks like this may have been introduced by Qt 5.12.

Cheers,
Andrew