Re: Having problem building on macOS Mojave

From: ThomasScofield
Subject: Re: Having problem building on macOS Mojave
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:57:32 -0600 (CST)

I have recently upgraded to MacOS Mojave.  I did a re-install of Octave from
Homebrew.  The installation seemed to go fine, and the software starts up in
a terminal window without incident.  One of the first things I do after an
install is to check that plots work.  Plotting a simple cosine graph

  xs = 0:.1:2*pi;
  plot(xs, cos(xs))

caused program termination with the message

fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault: 11 -- stopping myself...
Segmentation fault: 11

I've been trolling through maintainers messages, and it seems segfaults have
been a topic of conversation recently, perhaps in connection with the latest
MacOS releases.  I uninstalled/reinstalled Homebrew and started with a clean
slate, but without change.  I have been out of the install-from-source world
for a while, so have shied away from parts of the discussion that involved
playing with software on which Octave is dependent, or running
make/configure.  Following Andrew's note, I did this

 brew tap octave-app/octave-app-bases
 brew install --HEAD octave-head-test

which ran through OK (several notes about keg-only software that wasn't
symlinked, or export for commands should a compiler need to find something),
and gave me a working version of Octave.  That is, as before, I can start it
up in a terminal and do basic stuff.  The plot command that brought on a
segfault with the earlier install now does not cause a crash.  In fact, a
figure window appears, and everything seems to work OK, excepting the fact
that the figure window remains blank.  Other graphic-generating commands act
similarly.

Perhaps this is relevant: since starting anew with Homebrew, I have used it
to install qt but not gnuplot.

Thomas