Re: Encoding in Octave 5.0

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Encoding in Octave 5.0
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 08:37:16 +0100

Am 30. Januar 2019 um 08:30 Uhr schrieb "Markus Mützel":
> Am 29. Januar 2019 um 18:02 Uhr schrieb "Chris Zheng":
> > Dear maintainers,
> >
> > I use Octave within Emacs under Windows 8.1 using Inferior Octave
> > mode. With version 4.4.1, the following code
> >
> > title('é');
> > print n.svg
> >
> > results in garbage content in the Figure window, but the right content
> > in the SVG file. However with version 5.0.90 downloaded from
> > ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/octave/, the above code results in right
> > content on the screen but wrong content in the SVG file (the wrong
> > content is encoded in GBK which is my locale encoding). The code sends
> > to the Octave process is indeed encoded in UTF-8. I wonder what is
> > changed between 4.4.1 and 5.0, and what can I do to fix the problem.
>
> I can confirm what you describe with the 5.0.90 build on Windows 10: The
> strings in the svg should be UTF-8 encoded. But they seem to be encoded in
> Latin-1 (which is my locale encoding).
>
> Can you please open a bug report on savannah with your example?
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

Sorry. Please wait before opening a bug report.
I thought that .svg file creation no longer went through .ps (which has
problems with non-ASCII characters). But it looks like it still does.
@Pantxo: I think you know the printing system better. Do you know which options
would make this work for svg? Thanks.

Markus