om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] slow startup/slow load/cannot add plugins/modules won't c

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] slow startup/slow load/cannot add plugins/modules won't connect
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:24:02 +1000

On Sun, 2005-09-10 at 18:26 +0200, derek holzer wrote:
> Running om-0.2.0 tarball, I'm having no luck getting it started. I start
> the om server llike this:
>
>   $ om
> [SlowEventQueue] Starting.
> [PostProcessor] Starting.
> [AlsaDriver] Successfully opened ALSA sequencer.
> [OSC] Started OSC server at osc.udp://localhost:16180/
> [Main] Warning:  Failed to lock memory.  Timing could suffer.
> lash_open_socket: could not connect to host 'localhost', service 'lash'
> lash_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
> lash_init: could not connect to server 'localhost' - disabling lash
> [LashDriver] Failed to connect to LASH.  Session management will not
> function.
> cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 9) [for thread 81926,
> from thread 81926] (1: Operation not permitted)
> [JackDriver] Activated Jack client.
> [AlsaDriver] Unable to start realtime MIDI thread.
> [AlsaDriver] Started non-realtime MIDI thread.
> [OSC] Registered client osc.udp://localhost:13169/ (1 clients)
> [JackDriver] Enabling.
> [NodeFactory] DSSI_PATH is empty.  Assuming
> /usr/lib/dssi:/usr/local/lib/dssi:~/.dssi
>

> And then om-gtk, which goes like this:
>
> $ om_gtk
> [StateManager] Unable to open settings file /home/derek/.omgtkrc
> [Main] No engine URL specified.  Attempting to use osc.udp://localhost:16180
> [OSCController] Started OSC listener on port 13169
> [OSCController] Attempting to contact engine at
> osc.udp://localhost:16180/ . connected
> [OSCController] Waiting for response 2: ... received.
>
> after which I wait about two minutes for the GUI to come up. The I try
> to start a new patch, and absolutely nothing happens. So I try to load a
> sample patch:
>
> [Controller] Registered with engine
> lash_open_socket: could not connect to host 'localhost', service 'lash'
> lash_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
> lash_init: could not connect to server 'localhost' - disabling lash
> [LashController] Failed to connect to LASH.  Session management will not
> function.
> [PatchLibrarian] Loading patch /usr/local/share/om/patches/sine.om
> [OSCController] Waiting for response 6: ...
>

> and also nothing happens for several minutes. The my new patch, named
> "test" or whatever, opens and I try to add some plugins. Nothing new
> appears. I notice now that "sine.om" has appeared, but most of the
> modules are disconnected and resist any efforts to connect them.

Several _minutes_??

It would appear that somehow your machine takes several minutes to talk
to itself via UDP.  That's... interesting.  The module usually shows up
immediately after clicking the 'Add' button in the plugin dialog, you
can't even perceive a delay.

This could be a PPC thing, as far as I know you're the first person to
attempt to run Om on any non-x86 architechture.

Sorry to say I have no idea about this one.  It's possible that liblo
doesn't work on PPC, and is messing up it's timestamps because of some
endianness error.  That seems much more likely to me than Om magically
taking several minutes to do things.

I'll have a talk with Steve about liblo on PPC.

-DR-