om-synth

[Om-synth] om-synth: improving usability

From: Antonio
Subject: [Om-synth] om-synth: improving usability
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:56:46 +0200

Hi,

I'm now an happy om user but there are some tings that I would like to
see improved regarding the usability. Take this as suggestion from a
users, and as a starting point for further discussion. Fell free to
criticize them as you like ;-). I hope that some of these seems good
to the developer(s), and are easily enough to implement without much
effort.

On the canvas side:
* Would be nice that, when selecting a group of widgets, the
"Disconnect All" contextual menu will disconnect all the connections
starting, ending or between the select objects. Also a "Delete All"
command would be useful to delete all the selected objects (only in
Om, obviously this doesn't make sense in patchage). The "Delete All"
command should be accessible also though the Canc shortcut.

On om_gkt:
* When saving a session I think would be useful to save the jack and
midi connections too. Not all the jack and midi connections, of
course, but only those connecting to, from or between om's patches. So
lashd it's not required if one uses om only to play some patch.

On lash_panel:
* Should be possible to open a session, make some modifications
starting from there and then save a new session without deleting the
old session. The current way of deleting the old session on rename
makes very laborious to create a set of similar sessions, because one
has to create from scratch every session or manually copy the
directory of one session and them one and modify the copy.

* Should be nice that lash_panel could start the lashd server, if
wanted. This should be selectable through  a command line switch
and/or through a button in the GUI. Ideally a windows that shows the
server messages would be the optimal solution, but also the basic
functionality to start the server would be a nice improvement. In this
way one have to run only one program (after jack, of course) and from
there can quickly load any desired session.

What do you think about that?

Best Regards,

  ~ Antonio