openvds-devel

Re[2]: [Openvds-devel] This list / project stilll alive? Ping !

From: Eje Gustafsson
Subject: Re[2]: [Openvds-devel] This list / project stilll alive? Ping !
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:29:57 -0600

gasp. the list is alive.. -lol-  "user mode" as virtual server
solution ?

Just curious anyone used/using this for virtual servers for
webhosting.
freevsd starts to be a trouble IMO since nobody is doing any updates
on it. Everytime there is a security issue with SSH, SSL, Apache or
whatever is running in one of the skel it's a major pain in the ass to
update. Last time I updated Apache I ended up having to do a bunch of
tricks to get it running. Customers finds problems with "their" setup
but since it's files that they are not granted permission with I end
up having to do it and the list goes on.

The reason I started using freevsd was to be able to give users their
own virtual server they could mess with and if they screwed up
something it was just their own. To me it seems if one would use user
mode linux then you give them a defaulted install of RH, Mandrake or
whatever Linux version they want. They get root for it if they screw
it up you just reinstall for them and they can put their stuff back
on and you can use regular updates tools to make sure your install is
up to date.

Disk space is so cheap today it to me makes little sense to use very
condensed and sorted out skels (heck with user mode you can use a
"skel" setup anyways and as I understand you don't have to keep track
of it if a file get update it takes it out of the skel).
Only issue is ram but ram starts to get so cheap anyways.
But even with 1.5Gig ram in the machine you probably can't do much
more then 5 virtuals. Maybe 10 if you have less requirements. But as I
see it as well it's easier to move a virtual to a new machine so if
you make 10 and one of them start to outgrow the machine you can
easily move this single one over to a new machine and give him more
memory on it and maybe by then ram is even cheaper ;P

Thoughts ? Anyone done this ? If so tried to transfer a freevsd
virtual over to a user mode virtual ? any implications doing a user
mode linux virtual ? security issues ? or any other issues ?

Then you could also just give the virtual server owner ability to
install webmin or any other regular admin tool since they are entirely
in their own jailed environment.
Probably might even be able to install ensim inside that virtual as
well.  Heck might even be able to install psoft's h-sphere using 2-3
virtuals in one single box to start out with ;P

/ Eje

Tuesday, December 31, 2002, 8:50:25 AM, you wrote:

US> Hi Petar,

>> - Is anything happening with open vds or has the project died?

US> I haven't seen any real update or message... However i keep working in the
US> administrative server/client improving it every time i can...

>> Trying to access the "home page' listed just gives an access forbidden msg
>> at http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/openvds/

US> Try this one:

US> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/openvds/

>> The ftp site carries stuff with time date stamps from 2001
>> Looks like the head of steam that was built up has disapated?

US> Haven't seend Dave for a while...

US> Dave, you still alive ? :)

US> Regards,
US> _______________________________________________________
US> Urivan Saaib
US> Presidente
US> CiberNET Mexico
US> Email: address@hidden
US> Tel/Fax: +52 (646) 1757195

US> ---
US> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Best regards,
 Eje Gustafsson                       mailto:address@hidden
---
The Family Entertainment Network      http://www.fament.com
Phone : 620-231-7777                  Fax   : 620-231-4066
eBay UserID : macahan
          - Your Full Time Professionals -

---