openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 Status

From: mjander
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 Status
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:07:55 -0400

Hello,

From: Jeff Muizelaar <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:01:37 -0500 (EST)

>Well I have finally have a working PC again.

Great  !!

>I have started merging in the new functionality from au8820-oss.
Basically
>my plan is to match the oss drivers as close as possible and then
move
>on to Manuel's alsa driver
>
>I have thought a bit about code sharing. Because the 88x0
architectures
>are so similar it will probably work best to have each chip
supported as a
>different compile time option for a single source base. Thus, each
>driver can be compiled/loaded as necessary. This might lead to a
bit of
>'#ifdef' mess but we'll see... Any thoughts Manuel?

I agree 100%. I was thinking about dynamic address offsets, so the
 different cards could be used with the  same driver, but thats
too much ovberhed i think. So the best solution would be using
#ifdef's.

>If anyone is looking for an easier way to contribute to the
openvortex
>effort, some sort of regression test set would be nice. This is
probably
>best targeted at alsa.

I had serious memory corruptions with  the  au8820-driver (OSS)
branch. I dont know if myself messed original au8830-driver code
while adapting it to the au8820 or whatever, but since i was
unable  to fix it, i decided  to write  a ALSA driver, because all
the buffering code (the  part more difficult for me) is already  done.

Its a lot easier to  concentrate  on the Hardware stuff if you
already know that everything else is well tested and stable.

Best Regards

Manuel Jander

I would  like there where no war... but after the  crazy
cowboy had drawn his guns, its all over ...
.
Enviado via NewPlanet WebMail en embedded.cl