palito-dev

Re: [palito-dev] unit variables -> game parameters -> unit script

From: zed
Subject: Re: [palito-dev] unit variables -> game parameters -> unit script
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:23:40 -0300

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:17:46AM +1000, Michael Devey wrote:
> > OTOH, the unit variables for animation can be done in more short-term.
> > Take a look at the firing animation of gunner.flush in
> > http://palito.9hells.org/src/2003/palito.2003-06-28.tgz
> > and tell me what more variables you would like to have.
> > (Take a look also on the TODO.txt, there's something about that..)
>
> Okay I realise barrett has enough on his plate with the server rewrite,
> but some of you may see the advantages of attempting to get this right
> the first time.  Tell me if I'm on drugs.
>
> ---
>
> Ofcourse I was thinking I'd like at least a couple of on/off attributes,
> say use power for shield, make something, do something,
> have behaviour tendency, blah.
> But why stop there, we could set up a standard system for
> per unit variables (and not just on/off, percentages etc).
>
> I was thinking something along the lines of each unit variable has
> an int value and a series of opcodes (and related semi-constants
> for that unit type) for how that value affected all aspects of the game.
>
> Yes an example is in order here.
>
> hope that wasn't too vague. I'm interested in how ppl feel about
> the extensibility versus finishing a game that runs reasonably quickly.
> If I'm not careful I aspire to add everything under the sun to palito
> (don't get me started on mouse gestures and associated menu models)
> but reality brings me back to attempting to have it functioning before
> I die.
>
> So does anyone want to try going for a very open ended relationship model
> or prefer to set boundaries on them and only add things adhoc.

what you wrote reminds me of something like flush script
controling the unit's behaviour .. and come arbitrary parameters
(described on the unit's flush script) to control the necessary
variations on-the-fly ..

and, perhaps, an automated way to show this paramaters
on the user interface .. like a list of parameters, descriptions and
types (int, bool, int range [0..100], or [-1..1 step .1])

note that parameters with the same name on different unit-classes
may be handled as the same thing when groups with different
classes are selected (something like the build menu of different
constructors with some intersecion of units they can build)

> duck and cover, metal/energy/armour might resurge :)

ahh, i liked that metal/armor energy/explosion thing :P

maybe with this unit script the damage, and even movement,
could be implemented per-unit (with some include files to generalize)
.. and i could even hack this ideas of armor/metal on a "race" of palito :]