pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] exit.s on amd64? 0x3c.

From: Guillaume Yziquel
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] exit.s on amd64? 0x3c.
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 01:07:01 +0100

Cian a écrit :
Hi Guillame,

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Guillaume Yziquel
<address@hidden> wrote:
However, I'd like to point out something that happens with the power.s code
in th PGU book, page 59.

It seems that as doesn't like at all stuff like pushl as popl.

Is it because I'm on amd64? If so, how can I deal with it?

Hm, you should still be able to use eax, etc. if I understand
correctly. However, take a look at the notes in
http://www.x86-64.org/documentation/assembly.html - if you're using
e.g. rax (I presume you're not, since you said you typed it
literally?), perhaps pushq etc. will help.

If that's no help, perhaps the GNU as manual would have some useful info?

I don't have time to check myself right now; please let me know how
you get on. Thanks!

Cian

Hi.

I've been learning assembly the last few days because I needed to understand a segfault in my OCaml binding of the MonetDB database system. Problem now solved: symbol collision with libncurses. Thank you, since this book has helped me gain a lot of time and avoid hours of frustration.

As I've been working on amd64, I took some time to adapt the examples of the book to amd64. Here are the first three.

http://yziquel.homelinux.org/gitweb/?p=gas-learning.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/amd64;hb=refs/heads/amd64

If people want to contribute examples of Programming Ground Up to amd64, feel free to tell me to 'git pull'.

Thanks again.

--
     Guillaume Yziquel
http://yziquel.homelinux.org/