pika-dev

Re: [Pika-dev] xl, xxl, and mxl

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Pika-dev] xl, xxl, and mxl
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:11:53 +0200

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> Some people add all that up and say: "Ok, we want a general language
> (permits divergent computations) ... and just have to be careful how
> we use it."
>
> XL fans say: "Ok, we want a non-general language (kinda) --- just so
> long as we can write in it, say, 99.999% of the 99.999% of desirable
> programs."
>
> See?!?    (It's new to me, too, but pretty vivid.   I'm searching for
> ways (and suspecting that "code" is the best way) to communicate it.)

OK. And how do you prove that XL avoids divergent behaviour altogether
while retaining the ability of expressing that 99.999 x 99.999 % of
all programs? (i'm not doubting it, i'm just curious... provided i've
really seen :-)

> Another way to see XL is to view it as hardware design, extended to
> the point where the hardware being constructed is thoroughly
> virtualized.

I had got a totally wrong understanding of what xl is. I lose track of
the furth/xl thread on gnuarch ml at some point which left me with the
(false) impression that XL was just a configuration language for GNU
Arch based on furth (as an aside, Tom, i'd appreciate a quick note on
how pika fits in the picture (if it fits at all)).

> I don't quite follow what you are trying to say but it sounds
> completely wrong.

Nevermind. Besides being poorly expressed, the idea was based on my
(mis)understanding of xl&co. (which led me, btw, to not fully
understand what Jeremy was talking about on previous posts).

>     > in short, i want _abstraction_. and Make users need it, too.
>
> Make keeps getting pushed in that direction.   It's only compatability
> with legacy foo that keeps it from pushing more agressively.

Just curious again: is package-framework your attempt to push on that
direction or do you have other plans for a building tool?

Thanks for your feedback,
jao
--
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
   -Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)