pspp-users

Re: Entering Variables in Blocks Using PSPP

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Entering Variables in Blocks Using PSPP
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 17:18:30 -0600

What version are you using?

My initial thought is that PSPP doesn't support this, which may well be true. The PSPP manual, does not include the METHOD subcommand in the reference, although the examples show an example like your second one with a single METHOD subcommand:

https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node/Syntax.html#Syntax
https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node/Examples.html#Examples

But I opened the src/language/stats/regression.c file in the most recent version of PSPP on my machine (which is 1.2), it looks like it will parse variables after a METHOD unless there was already a VARIABLES command (see below; variables_seen is a true value if /VARIABLES has already been parsed). The code below seems to parse METHOD, then require an equals, then require that the method is ENTER (no other methods are allowed), then IFF variables_seen is false, parse dependent variables. I don't know enough about PSPP internals to know if parse_variables_const() imposes additional conditions.

So, removing the /VARIABLES may allow it to run. But , I don't think PSPP has the logic to perform hierarchical regression. My guess is that if you get it to run, it will ignore blocks and simply perform one regression on all the variables that you enter.

-Alan