Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Atomicity of backups?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Atomicity of backups?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:29:34 -0800

  DG> one thing which is different between linux and other unixes is
  DG> the behaviour of fsync() on the directory containing a file.  in
  DG> most unix the sequence:

I see, thanks for the information.  Is there some way of
writing/appending some small amount of data to a file, and have the OS
guarantee that either all or none of the data be written?  (In
particular, I am thinking about rdiff-backup's gzipped metadata file.)
I suppose you could write the before/after file lengths to a separate
file first, and that would tell you whether the whole write went
through, but maybe there is an easier way.

--
Ben Escoto