[rdiff-backup-users] Using --mirror-only to mirror an rdiff-backup dir

From: Christopher Schanzle
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Using --mirror-only to mirror an rdiff-backup dir
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:51:25 -0500

We're using rdiff-backup to back up our Cyrus mail spool for about 4500 users (140 GB, 3.5 million files). It's great, but since mail is important to some people, we want to make a second copy of the rdiff-backup directory in case the backup server barfs. I tried using rsync, but it's memory requirements for 8 million files is at least 1.3 GB (the second backup host has only 512MB...ouch!). I don't want to break up the rsync into multiple subtasks since we have lots of hard links. I could throw more hardware (RAM) at the problem, but...

I tried to use "rdiff-backup --mirror-only" of the rdiff-backup directory to another system. But I cannot get it to mirror the rdiff-backup-data directory since it is automatically excluded! I tried --including it, to no avail. Any suggestions?

I noticed the release announcement for 0.11.1 -- Ben, please reconsider removing the --mirror-only option! Rsync is not the perfect tool for mirroring large datasets! Does anybody have any other suggestions? And thanks again for all the effort put into rdiff-backup.

Chris Schanzle