[rdiff-backup-users] Hook on backup completion

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Hook on backup completion
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:11:47 +0000

We backup a number of client machines to a backup server, all machines
running Linux.

What I'd like to do is detect on the backup server when each client
finishes its backup. I had thought of creating an additional directory
on the clients with one "flag" file in it, to be backed up after the
main data backup; the backup server could regularly check for the
presence of the flag and take the appropriate action when it sees the
file.

However, I was wondering if the session_statistics file could be used
instead. Is it true to say that this file does not exist until the
backup is complete? In other words, if I waited until that file, with
the correct date, appeared (and then maybe waited one minute to ensure
that the session_statistics file has been fully written), would that be
a reasonable guarantee that the backup was complete?

Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any ideas -

Keith