Re: [rdiff-backup-users] adding symbolic tags to backups?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] adding symbolic tags to backups?
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 00:06:41 -0800

  GS> A feature that would be nice in rdiff-backup would be the
  GS> ability to add one or more names to a particular backup rather
  GS> than only listing them by date.  (unless i'm missing something
  GS> 0.10.2 doesn't do this)

  GS> So that a restore could be done using something similar to:

  GS>  rdiff-backup -r monday-backup backup-fu/ /restore/path
  GS>  rdiff-backup -r build-12345 backup-fu/ /restore/path

These two examples seem dissimilar to me.  In the first case it seems
that more flexible time strings may solve the problem (without
introducing any extra complexity).  So instead of strings like "now",
"4D", and "1969-12-31T18:46:40-07:00", maybe rdiff-backup could accept
strings like "last_monday", "2002/11/05", etc.

    It would be more complicated to get "build-12345" to work.  There
would have to be some database in the rdiff-backup directory pairing
tags with times, a new interface to create and delete tags, and
probably some extra checks with --remove-older-than to delete stale
tags.

--
Ben Escoto