Re: [rdiff-backup-users] remove-older-than

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] remove-older-than
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:57:34 -0800

  LF> this means that if I backup my files every night and I've got
  LF> one file which exisit 10 days ago, but deleted 9 days ago, and I
  LF> run every night: rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 2W than I'm
  LF> not able to recover the file?  thanks in advance.  yours

I've edited that man page entry a bit:

    rdiff-backup cannot remove-older-than and back up or restore in a
    single session.  If you want to, for instance, backup a directory
    and remove old files in it, you must run rdiff-backup twice.

    Note that snapshots of deleted files are covered by this
    operation, so if you deleted a file and backed up two weeks ago,
    and then run --remove-older-than 10D today, no trace of that file
    will remain.

Hopefully this will be clearer.  In your example, the file deleted 9
days ago will be retained, since you only specified files older than 2
weeks to remain.  As soon as the file was deleted more than 2 weeks
ago, it will be erased and will no longer be recoverable.

--
Ben Escoto