Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problems with failed backups and 0.11.4

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problems with failed backups and 0.11.4
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:06:44 -0700

  RP> Hi, I am doing some testing with rdiff-backup 0.11.4 between two
  RP> RedHat 9 boxes over SSH and I am having some issues trying to
  RP> kick off another backup after one failed with the following
  RP> error:

Hmm, I can't tell much from the traceback, maybe higher verbosity
would help.

  RP> <snip> Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing
  RP> destination now.
  RP> tore.py", line 374, in get_restore_fp AssertionError

Apparently rdiff-backup wants to restore some file that it thinks
existed in the previous backup set, but can't find it.  I think 0.11.5
will tell you what file it wants in this case, and then we can see why
it isn't available.

Worst case, it may work to rename the mirror_metadata for that
session, so rdiff-backup no longer expects that file.  But that isn't
a fix, just a hack that may let you restore some data instead of
getting that error.

  RP> Any ideas how I can
  RP> A) Stop rdiff-backup from trying to regress the failed backup.
  RP> B) Deal with the initial error which cause the failure.

B is definitely a good idea, but regressing is part of the strategy in
0.11.x to prevent any data loss or corruption from rdiff-backup
errors, system failures, etc.

--
Ben Escoto