Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Throttling

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Throttling
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:59:17 -0700

  NL> How does the OS or ssh differentiate between normal ssh traffic
  NL> and bulk ssh traffic?

  NL> Also if you are user without router access, OS or ssh level
  NL> bandwidth control might be impossible.

By ssh limiting bandwidth, I just meant that ssh should have a switch
like -k 100 to limit its own bandwidth.  In general this can't be done
before the ssh level because ssh encryption/compression will change
the properties of the stream.

About OS bandwidth control, perhaps I am being naive, but it is the
OS's job provide and control access to basic system resources like
CPU, networking, and disk.  Just as a user can 'nice' a process to
control its CPU time, it seems a user or root should be able to
network-nice or disk-nice a process to control its network and disk
usage.

--
Ben Escoto