Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Throttling

From: Nicholas Lee
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Throttling
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:09:00 +1200

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 09:59:17AM -0700, Ben Escoto wrote:
> By ssh limiting bandwidth, I just meant that ssh should have a switch
> like -k 100 to limit its own bandwidth.  In general this can't be done

Yeah, I wish is had a switch like that as well. In general I expect ssh
level bw limiting should be done after compress/encryption. ie. raw
ip-rate level.

> About OS bandwidth control, perhaps I am being naive, but it is the
> OS's job provide and control access to basic system resources like

True enough. Problem of course is that network resource unlike disk or
cpu resources depends on information which outside the local scope.
Network resource control is best left to edge devices.

Furthermore the complexity of a rule set will increase with both the
size of the controlled network and the number of applications to
control.

Personally I think its best is bwlimit control options where provided at
all levels: OS, application layer transport, application.

--
Nicholas Lee - nj.lee at plumtree.co dot nz, somewhere on the fish Maui caught.
gpg. 8072 4F86 EDCD 4FC1 18EF  5BDD 07B0 9597 6D58 D70C            icq. 1612865

                         Quixotic Eccentricity